Women’s Theatre Festival ~
Bread & Butter
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
The Millibo Art Theatre is seeking submissions of short plays, monologues, films, dance, music, and performance art, by female playwrights and performers currently residing in Colorado. We are interested in work that creatively addresses the theme “Bread and Butter” in ways that are rich in theatrical imagination.
- Works should be between 2 to 10 minutes in duration and may include short plays, monologues, poetry, original song, film, and movement theatre.
- We are interested in plays and performances that explore the multiplicity and complexity of culture and experience.
- We are able to consider plays which require between 1 to 5 actors.
- We can accept one submission per playwright and/or performing artist.
- Songwriters may submit 2 to 3 songs for consideration.
WHAT WE’RE OFFERING:
- Selected plays and monologues will receive a full production of 8 performances as part of Millibo Art Theatre’s WTF – April 11 to 21
- Successful playwrights, actors, and performance artists receive a small stipend for their work and 2 complimentary tickets to attend the festival.
Submissions will be collected until 5:00pm on February 23rd, after which time our Play Selection Committee will read and review each piece, narrowing down the number of scripts to a selection of 5 to 6 plays to be produced. Our Artistic Board will appoint directors for each of the selected plays and the directors will cast from open auditions. After a rehearsal period of ~3 weeks, the plays will be presented for 8 performances in front of a paying audience. Performances will be April 11 to 21.
- Fill out the submission form linked here: SHORT PLAY SUBMISSIONS – WTF 2024
- Be sure to upload a pdf version of your short play through the portal.
- We accept one submission per playwright.
- Musicals will not be considered at this time.
- Please include a Title Page with your full contact information, dramatis personae, and a brief synopsis of the play.
- Please number all pages.
- Submit your application before the February 23rd deadline – no plays will be accepted after the 5:00pm deadline.
ACTORS FOR SHORT PLAYS: Auditions for all roles will be held on February 24 & 25. Please sign up online.
We are eager to include a variety of new performance works in the festival. These may include short works in music, dance, physical theatre, poetry, clown, film, and more. Performance artists are expected to perform their own work and must be available for all 8 shows. To be considered for an audition, please submit the application below. If selected to audition, you will have the opportunity to present your performance piece to the review panel. We understand that not all pieces will be performance ready at the audition. Please still come to the audition and share your ideas with us.
- Fill out the submission form linked here: PERFORMANCE PROPOSALS – WTF 2024
- Submit your application before the February 23rd deadline.
- The submission form includes a place where you can sign up for an audition slot.
- Auditions will be held March 9th & 10th or by appointment.
- Interested performance artists may request direction and coaching from Millibo’s Artistic Directors to develop their work. We are very open and available to work with you to develop your piece for the final performance.
- Plays will be chosen by February 23, 2024
- Auditions for actors and performance artists will be held Saturday and Sunday February 24 & 25.
- The review committee for plays, actors, and performance artists includes Play Directors and Millibo Artistic Directors.
A MINI HISTORY OF THE FESTIVAL:
Launched as the “Six Women Playwriting Festival” in 2006, the Women’s Theatre Festival has grown into a showcase for innovative performances in theatre, music, dance, performance art, film, poetry, clown, and physical theatre all created and conceived by Colorado women artists. Playfully and irreverently referred to as the “WTF”, the festival’s mission is to provide Colorado women with a platform for their voices, their truths, and their stories.